Bullying & Harassment
District 401 is committed to providing all students and staff with a safe and civil environment in which everyone in the community is treated with dignity and respect.
To this end, we have created an online form that students may use to report incidents of bullying or harassment. The form is available at this link:
For incidents specifically at Elm Middle School, use this link:
What is Bullying/Harassment?
Bullying/harassment is any electronic, written, verbal or physical act toward a person based on any actual or perceived trait or characteristic of the person and which creates a hostile school environment that meets one or more of the following conditions:
- The act places the student in reasonable fear of harm.
- The act has a substantially detrimental effect on the student's physical or mental health.
- The act has the effect of substantially interfering with a student's academic performance.
- The act has the effect of substantially interfering with the student's ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities or privileges provided by a school.
- The situation is not a conflict, which is a fight, battle or struggle between two students with equal power.
District 401 Policy on Bullying/Harassment
A complete online version of the District Policy Manual is available here.